I wanted a soup that went well with grilled cheese, and what better soup than tomato? Of course, typical tomato is pretty plain/bland, so I decided to make a tomato veggie soup… I’ll be honest, I wasn’t sure if I would like it all that much, but I ended up truly loving it! And it went great with our grilled cheese (with my homemade bread, grass-fed butter, and tillamook cheddar!).
Here is my recipe (though I will say that I’m guessing on the amounts of the ingredients… I just put stuff in!):
Tomato Veggie Soup
- 1/2 acorn squash, diced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen or fresh green beans
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 can (15oz) of diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15oz) of tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic gloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Saute the acorn squash, carrots, zucchini, green beans, tomatoes, onion, and garlic in olive oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add in canned diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, basil, thyme, chicken stock, and sea salt.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 45 minutes.
To make this a full meal (with protein), you could easily add beans of your choice and/or top with mozzarella cheese!