I wanted a soup that went well with grilled cheese, and what better soup than tomato? Of course, typical tomato is pretty plain/bland, so I decided to make a tomato veggie soup… I’ll be honest, I wasn’t sure if I would like it all that much, but I ended up truly loving it! And it went great with our grilled cheese (with my homemade bread, grass-fed butter, and tillamook cheddar!).
Here is my recipe (though I will say that I’m guessing on the amounts of the ingredients… I just put stuff in!):
Tomato Veggie Soup
- 1/2 acorn squash, diced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen or fresh green beans
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 can (15oz) of diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15oz) of tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic gloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Saute the acorn squash, carrots, zucchini, green beans, tomatoes, onion, and garlic in olive oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add in canned diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, basil, thyme, chicken stock, and sea salt.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 45 minutes.
To make this a full meal (with protein), you could easily add beans of your choice and/or top with mozzarella cheese!
I am not a huge fan of cooking with chicken breasts (for many reasons, but mainly because of how dry they are), though I will on occasion.
My favorite way to cook a chicken is to roast it with fresh (or even dried) herbs. The pictures in this post will show using dried herbs because that’s all I had on hand.
Here are the steps to making a juicy whole chicken:
1) Gather these ingredients in a small bowl:
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 3 tablespoons of coarse sea salt
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic (can keep whole or chop/mince)
- Herbs (fresh or dry- thyme, rosemary, basil, oregano)
2) Place the chicken in a roasting pan, and stuff it with the ingredients in the bowl
3) Melt 1/2 stick butter, pour on top of chicken
4) Sprinkle top of chicken with course sea salt and fresh cracked pepper (when using dried herbs, I tend to sprinkle some on the top as well)
5) Cover with foil and cook for 1 1/2 hours
6) Take foil off and cook for another 30 minutes (or until temp reaches 180 degrees)
7) Serve with some quinoa and roasted veggies, or like I did this time around, place potatoes and onions around it and they will soak up the yummy goodness from the chicken!
I forgot to take a picture after I cooked it…
The whole family finishes their plate when I make this yummy chicken. It is a favorite in our home. Enjoy!
The only items that I buy canned anymore are diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and paste. Eventually I plan to learn how to can my own home-grown tomatoes and will not even buy these canned! But for now, this is reality.
- 1 package of whole wheat pasta (your favorite type!)
- 1 pound of hamburger (or venison, which we often use)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 small cans (or one large can) tomato sauce
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 can tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp dried basil (or fresh basil)
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 yellow squash, diced
- Brown hamburger in garlic, onion, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Add in tomato products.
- Add in zucchini and squash.
- Add more of herbs and seasonings (if desired).
- Simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups mixed vegetables, either frozen, canned, or leftover*
- 4 cups (approximately) mashed potatoes (made from about 8 potatoes)
- 8 ounces (2 cups) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup whole milk
1. Brown ground beef with onion, pepper, and garlic. Drain grease.
2. In a large bowl, combine the meat, crushed red pepper, salt, pepper, and mixed vegetables.
3. Grease a (deep) 10-inch glass pie plate. (You could also use an 8-inch square glass dish.) Spread the meat and vegetable mixture in the dish. Top with a layer of the mashed potatoes, sealing to the edges. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top.
4. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Just before baking, pour milk over cheese. Bake for 35-45 minutes, until pie is hot and cheese is lightly browned.